Apple has released macOS Big Sur 11.3 update for Mac users running macOS Big Sur. The new software update includes some feature refinements and new functionalities, along with various bug fixes and enhancements to the operating system, making it recommendeded for all Mac users running macOS 11 Big Sur.
In particular, macOS Big Sur 11.3 includes new customization options for Safari, a new control panel for touch alternatives when using iOS and iPadOS apps on Macs (for Apple Silicon models only), updates to Reminders app with a return of the List feature and ability to print reminders, support for Playstation 5 and Xbox X game controllers, along with various other smaller changes and improvements. There are also new Emoji icons available, including a woman with a beard, syringe, and a heart on fire. Full release notes for macOS 11.3 with all additions and changes are included further below.
Separately, Apple has also released Safari updates for macOS Catalina and Mojave, iOS 14.5 for iPhone, iPadOS 14.5 for iPad, tvOS 14.5 for Apple TV, and watchOS 7.4 for Apple Watch.
How to Download MacOS Big Sur 11.3
Always backup the Mac with Time Machine prior to updating any system software. Failure to backup can result in data loss if an update goes awry.
- From the Apple menu or the Dock, select “System Preferences”
- Choose the “Software Update” preference panel
- Select to update to ‘macOS Big Sur 11.3’ when it is shown as available
Completing installation requires the Mac to reboot.
IF you’re running macOS Catalina or Mojave, you’ll find updates for Safari and security updates instead.
macOS Big Sur 11.3 Update Direct Download Links (IPSW)
Apple hosts the following IPSW files for MacOS 11.3 for Apple Silicon Macs:
- macOS 11.3 Update IPSW
macOS Big Sur 11.3 Release Notes
Release notes for macOS Big Sur are as follows:
macOS Big Sur 11.3 adds support for AirTag, includes iPhone and iPad app improvements for Macs with M1, introduces separate skin tone variations for emoji with couples, and adds more diverse voice options for Siri.
AirTag and Find My
– Support for AirTag to keep track of and find your important items like your keys, wallet, backpack and more, privately and securely in the Find My app
– The Find My network with hundreds of millions of devices can help you find your AirTag, even when it isn’t nearby
– Lost Mode notifies you when your AirTag is found, and you can enter a phone number where you can be contacted
iPhone and iPad apps on Macs with M1
– Option to change an iPhone and iPad app’s window size
– Support for displaying the highest resolution version of an iPhone or iPad app in full screen
– Keyboard support for iPhone and iPad games designed to use device tilt
– Keyboard, mouse and trackpad support for iPhone and iPad games that support game controllers
– Support for separate skin tones for each individual in all variations of the couple kissing emoji and couple with heart emoji
– New face emojis, heart emojis, woman with a beard emoji
– Siri now includes more diverse voice options
– Autoplay keeps music playing by automatically playing a similar song, once you’ve reached the end of a song or playlist
– City charts showcase what’s popular in over 100 cities from all over the world
– Podcasts Show Pages are redesigned to make it easier to start listening
– Option to save and download episodes, automatically adding them to your Library for quick access
– Download behavior and notification settings can be customized on a show-by-show basis
– Top Charts and popular categories in Search help you discover new shows
– Redesigned News+ feed enables Apple News+ subscribers to quickly find, download, and manage magazine and newspaper issues
– All-new Search experience that helps you find relevant topics, channels, and stories
– Start Page section order can now be customized
– Additional WebExtensions API lets developers offer extensions that replace the new tab page
– Web Speech API lets developers incorporate speech recognition into their web pages for real-time captioning, dictation, and voice navigation
– WebM and Vorbis video and audio format support
– Ability to sort Today Smart list
– Support for syncing the order of reminders in lists across your devices
– Option to print your reminder lists
– Xbox Series X S Wireless Controller or Sony PS5 DualSenseTM Wireless Controller support
Mac computers with the M1 chip
– Hibernation support
About This Mac
– About this Mac displays Apple warranty status and AppleCare+ coverage in the Service tab when signed in with Apple ID
– Support for purchasing and enrolling in AppleCare+ for eligible Mac computers from About This Mac
This release also fixes the following issues:
– Reminders created via Siri may be unintentionally set for early morning hours
– iCloud Keychain might not turn off
– AirPods audio routing to incorrect device for Automatic Switching
– AirPods Automatic Switching notifications might be missing or duplicated
– External 4K monitors may not display in full resolution when connected over USB-C
– Login window may not display properly after restarting Mac mini (M1, 2020)
– The Dwell feature may not work in the Accessibility Keyboard
Aside from macOS Big Sur 11.3, Apple also made available updates for macOS Catalina and macOS Mojave, iOS 14.5 for iPhone and iPadOS 14.5 for iPad, tvOS 14.5 for Apple TV, and watchOS 7.4 for Apple Watch.