macOS Big Sur 11.4 has been released for Mac users. The latest software update for Mac includes various bug fixes and small enhancements, making it recommended for users running macOS Big Sur.
Though not mentioned in the release notes, macOS 11.4 is also said to include support for bootable backups using third party apps like Carbon Copy Cloner on M1 Macs.
Separately, Apple released iOS 14.6 and ipadOS 14.6 for iPhone and iPad, along with tvOS 14.6 and watchOS 7.5 for Apple TV and Apple Watch.
How to Download MacOS Big Sur 11.4 Update
Always backup the Mac with Time Machine or a backup method of your choosing before installing software updates.
- Go to the Apple menu or Dock
- Choose “System Preferences”
- Select the “Software Update” control panel
- Choose to update “macOS Big Sur 11.4”
The Mac will need to restart to complete installation.
The update size for macOS Big Sur 11.4 is several gigabytes.
macOS Big Sur 11.4 Update Direct Download Links (IPSW)
Apple Silicon Macs can download macOS 11.4 as an IPSW file, though using them on Macs is a much more complex procedure than for mobile devices, and thus not practical for most users:
- macOS 11.4 Update IPSW
MacOS 11.4 Release Notes
Release notes accompanying macOS Big Sur 11.4 are as follows:
macOS Big Sur 11.4 adds Apple Podcasts subscriptions and channels and includes important bug fixes.
– Apple Podcasts subscriptions are available for purchase via monthly and annual subscriptions
– Channels group together collections of shows from podcast creators
This release also fixes the following issues:
– Bookmarks in Safari may get reordered or moved into a folder that can appear hidden
– Certain websites may not display correctly after your Mac wakes from sleep
– Keywords may not be included when exporting a photo from the Photos app
– Preview may become unresponsive when searching PDF documents
– 16-inch MacBook may become unresponsive when playing Civilization VI
For more detailed information about this update, please visit: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT211896
For detailed information about the security content of this update, please visit: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222
Aside from the updates to Mac system software, iOS 14.6 and iPadOS 14.6, tvOS 14.6, and watchOS 7.5 are also available to download for iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, and Apple Watch.